Monday, June 12, 2006

It's only a game, but...



Now that the fun and games have finally begun after all the hype, I suppose I should really say something on this topic. After the first few days of action I can't say I've seen any great matches so far. There haven't been any major upsets, except perhaps for Ecuador's 2-0 defeat of Poland. Still it's early days yet. I hope the Brazilians live up to their perennial expectations and produce some entertaining football even if they don't win it. As the only team to have played in every tournament since its inception in 1930, the World Cup just wouldn't be the World Cup without Brazil. I know it's a cliché, but let's hope they turn on the style. Bring on the samba rhythm.

6 comments:

Antonio from Italy said...

After the match of yesterday night Italy vs Ghana, Joseph Blatter said this was the best game ever played so far in this world championship :-)
I fell asleep during the match...
Did you enjoyed it?

CW said...

I only saw the highlights Antonio, but Italy were looking good! Pirlo's goal was fantastic - they'd obviously been practising that move in training. I thought Ghana were unlucky not to get a penalty though!

Fence said...

I think the Italy Ghana was the best match I've seen so far.

Brazil were poor last night, but it may be a case of a big team starting slow. And they did win.

Franse look like they might be in trouble though.

CW said...

Brazil are like that. They have a habit of getting off to a slow start then they turn on the fireworks. They tend to give other teams a chance by lying back and letting them score first, then they hit back with 3 or 4 goals. I'm sure the best is yet to come. France (aka Arsenal in blue) was definitely disapppointing. Can't see them doing much this time.

I hope Brazil get to play Portugal in the next round, so we could have a comedy double act on the pitch - the two Ronaldos!

Mike said...

I got Ecuador in the work draw, I'm all smiles so far.

CW said...

Dark horses par excellence, YS!